The OINP General Category targets foreign skilled workers with job offers who want to settle permanently in the province of Ontario.
For a nomination certificate to be issued under this category, both the employer and the foreign national must show that eligibility requirements are met. Eligible employers are required to complete an Employer Form, which is submitted with the foreign worker’s application.
Minimum Requirements for Applicants
In order to be eligible as a foreign worker under the OINP General Category, applicants must:
- Have at least two years (24 months) of paid and verifiable work experience, either in Canada or abroad, within the previous five years in their intended occupation OR have the appropriate registration in Ontario, if applying for a position in a regulated occupation in the province;
- Have a permanent, full-time job offer in a skilled occupation (NOC levels 0, A, or B) from the employer that is also submitting an application; and
- Be residing abroad OR residing, working or visiting Canada on a valid work permit, study permit or visitor record.
Minimum Requirements for Employers
In order to be eligible under this immigration category, the Ontario employer must:
- Have been in active business for at least three years;
- Have business premises in Ontario where the prospective nominee will work;
- Demonstrate sufficient proof of recruitment efforts if the prospective nominee is currently living abroad, visiting Canada, or working in a province or territory other than Ontario;
- Be in compliance with all provincial labour laws, including, but not limited to, employment standards, health and safety, and labour relations legislation; and
- For employers located inside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA):
- Have a minimum gross revenue for the most recent fiscal year of $1,000,000, and
- Have at least five permanent full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents at the location where the candidate is to work.
- For employers located outside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA):
- Have a minimum gross revenue for the most recent fiscal year of $500,000, and
- Have at least three permanent full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents at the location where the candidate is to work.
The OINP states that employers may have to demonstrate sufficient proof of recruitment efforts if the applicant is living abroad, is visiting Canada, or is working in a province or territory other than Ontario.
Minimum Requirements for Positions
The job position offered must meet the following requirements:
- The position must meet the description of a “skilled occupation” defined by the government as NOC level 0, A, or B;
- The job offered must be for a permanent, full-time position (minimum 1,560 hours of paid employment in a 12-month period);
- The offer must meet prevailing wage rates for the occupation in Ontario;
- The offer must not affect the settlement of any labour dispute or the employment of any person involved in such a dispute;
- The offer must not adversely affect employment or training opportunities for Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Ontario; and
- The position itself must be necessary for the company’s operations.
Photo: Smart Canucks