To qualify for an H1B1 visa to work in the US, the applicant must be a citizen of either Chile or Singapore and must have a temporary offer of employment in a specialty occupation from a US employer.


specialty occupation is an occupation that requires theoretical and practical application of specialized knowledge that usually requires the equivalent of at least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. Typical specialty occupation fields include architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, medicine, health, education, business specialties, accounting, law, theology and the arts.


H1B1 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.




An H1B1 visa entitles the holder to live and work in the US temporarily. An H1B1 visa is usually granted for an initial period of 1 year and extensions may be granted.


Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (H4 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the US. Accompanying spouses and children are entitled to study in the United States but are not entitled to undertake any employment without obtaining an appropriate work visa.